lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

I Found An Animal - What Should I Do?

What Should I Do?

If I find a baby animal?  (Download more information)

If I find a baby bird?  (Download more information)

If I find a fawn?  (Download more information)

Injured adult deer?  call Game Warden dispatch at 512-389-4848

All other injured or orphaned wildlife animals, call 281-259-0039

Call Friends of Texas Wildlife first at 281-259-0039 to determine if the animal is truly in need of help. Many normal behaviors of wildlife may be misinterpreted, resulting in a situation where the animal is actually being interfered with unnecessarily. Certain situations can also be handled successfully without coming into direct contact with the animal.

If you do need help, PLEASE CALL US during our regular business hours (daily 10 a.m. to 2 p.m./closed on Sundays).  Emailing or messaging on Facebook is not the fastest way to receive help.  If you need assistance after hours, please refer to this link (you may need to look at adjacent counties if there are no listings for your county):

Please remember that we and all wildlife rehabilitations are unpaid VOLUNTEERS who are not funded to care for the animals they take in.  

Please do not bring animals to our intake center unless you spoken with our intake center first to be sure we are open and ready to receive the animal.  We are not open 24 hours, so we may sometimes refer you directly to a rehabilitator in your area. 

We may not be able to take in certain rabies-vector species (raccoons, skunks, bats, coyotes, or foxes).  There are specific rules we have to follow on these species, so please be as accurate as you can when calling on these animals (what county you live in, what county the animal was found in, etc.).  We may also require a driver's license or other photo i.d. in order to take these animals in, so be prepared to provide that information if you are instructed to bring the animal to our center.

Nearly all mammals and birds are protected by State and Federal laws. It is against the law to have in your possession a mammal (or its nest) or a bird (its nest, feathers, or eggs) without special permits.